From its inception, Trinidad Generation Unlimited (TGU) has focused on transforming the energy landscape of Trinidad and Tobago by building our business model on standards for successful international independent power producers (IPPs).
On December 13th, 2006, TGU was formed as a joint venture between the Union Estate Electricity Generation Company Limited (UEEGCL) — a wholly owned company of the Government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago (GORTT) — and AES Corporation of the United States.
Construction of the plant started in January 2009 and TGU was contracted for a power purchase agreement (PPA) to sell 720 MW at a combined Equivalent Availability of 93% to two buyers — Alutrint Limited (Alutrint) for 240 MW and Trinidad and Tobago Electricity Commission (T&TEC) for 480 MW — in a joint and several arrangement for a 30-year term that began in 2011. After the Alutrint project was cancelled, however, all power was contracted to T&TEC.
The company began commercial operations on August 1st, 2011 on a phased basis, eventually attaining the ability to deliver full capacity in December 2012 when the final phase of construction was completed. On July 10th, 2013, UEEGCL acquired all the existing shares held by the AES Corporation, making TGU a 100% state-owned company.
In May 2018, TGU became part of the National Investment Fund Holding Company Limited (NIF), a company created by its sole shareholder, the GORTT.
As of March 2019, at full load, TGU can supply more than half (54%) of the country’s current peak demand for electrical power of approximately 1325 MW.
Now in its 11th year of commercial operations, TGU operates and manages the most efficient power plant in Trinidad and Tobago.